An year roundup of movies I loved in 2016





2016 is ending with  Na.Muthukumar not around us. That’s a big void, emptiness around the beautiful lyrical wonder which existed around us, like  water, Air, fire. He was a magician yet very simple who could tear us apart when we are in pain & his words would cry with us . It would also form the bliss which we long when are hearing . Today I am eagerly waiting for Tharamani ! When Ram and Yuvan are with  Na Mu, the spirits are close to god level. 2016 has also taken Editor  Kishore, Panju Arunachalam away. I am waiting for 2016 to die off soon, for taking away so much of genuine creators. In 2016, many movies died out of poor reviews though with real work. Savari, Kutrame Thandanai, Uriyadi were such examples. Duruvangal 16 doing well in the end of 2016 is a good sign, with positive reviews.


 I started 2016 ambitiously with Bala’s Tharathappattai; I did like the first 10 minutes on the movie but I came out really aggravated about the way Bala’s movies over the recent years. I am sure about the grittiness which defines his movies, but over the years it has been a rough watch than the experience of a creator on screen. I would definitely like to see Rajini Murugan genre often, it was an aggressive formula with high humor sense; Velaiyinnu vantha Vellaikaran was an equivalent entertainer. Some how these movies should be there around every season, These movies deprived of any much of tautness, any much of complexities, Boy meets girl, A comedian friend, fighting with wealth with a villain- I am not getting bored of it. 

Vijay Sethupathi was there on theatres the whole year, 6 movies – Andavan Kattalai, Dharmadhurai , Iraivi, Kakakapo, Sethupathi, Rekka. I loved  Andavan kattalai for Manikandan's script,but I would watch it again for  Rithika's no noise performance. Vijay sethupathi  was at his best in Iraivi; raw, Spectacled, Old fashioned, Greeced up. I would still like Karthik Subburaj confide certain aspects about the screen play of Iraivi and that one discussion how he narrated that script to Vijay Sethupathi and SJ Surya. Iraivi was a painful watch for every man, but it was a nail on the coffin for egoistic creatures & it spoke so much of veracity and obviously it didn’t fare well. I still get shivers the moment I think about the ruthless murder during the flee episode with that producer. It took years for many directors in Tamil to handle a subject with maturity, Iraivi just sailed it beautifully till the end, throwing away hard hitting on males chauvinism. On the other hand Dharamathurai, Kakapo, Rekka was a disaster for him . I expected heaps from Sethupathi – blood and crime, but somehow it shocked me with its mellowed, No noise screenplay. I am still waiting that blood and crime movie from Vijay sethupathi like ones from Jigarthanda Asault Sethu Younger days. That one scene where he escapes in a mofussil bus from court in a Lungi , how I long that scene to continue with Karthik Subburaj taking it serious with that scene. AYM was a horrible watch and Except for the song , I wish the movie and its silly dialogues never existed.

Iruthisutru brought that joy of winning, it really gave me the goosebumps, it just celebrated true performances. It was a clear documentation of  good actors on screen with a brilliant screen play with a fantastic music. I loved Theri, If there was one movie which I have watched more than 50 times this year, it would be Theri. Thanks to Athira who makes me watch every day, but watching it again didn’t put me to shame, One of the very good mass entertainer. Mahendran on screen is so much  for me, Like Balu Mahendra on screen (Thalaimuraigal). I wonder why Kutrame Thandanai didn’t get the laud as it should have, it was more compact and it conveyed a restrained approach of Manikandan. He didn’t attempt to preach the same way he did it in Andavan Kattalai. I wasn’t convinced with Appa, though it gave an important message on raising a Kid. I disliked from the  way Samuthrakani treated the pregnancy with midwives without taking to hospital ( Going back to primitiveness ) till taking that extra mile on that puppy loves. I had a good watch with Amma Kanakku, it had very good performance, It was genuine concern of a mother who is struggling to build a life for her girl. ( Again thanks to Athira for making me watch this twice 😉

And then Kabali happened, It’s still miles away from an adrenaline rising Rajni Movie. But why not Rajini act in Ranjith movie than the vice versa. It had lot to do with binding than emotions to expectation than the actual politics which the movie spoke here and there. I would still rate Kabali high for a composed Rajini, daring Ranjith and that episode of Radhika Apte – Mayanadhi was a revelation of filming a Rajini song.


I rate Charlie – (Malayalam) as one of the best movies I watched in the recent days. Dulquer, Parvathy were just in there, wholly &undeniably beautiful. Charlie is an introspection of travel and humanity. It brings a compliment of cartoon and a sea sailing episode which speaks volumes about the screenplay. Maheshinte Prathikaram is simple but a movie which stood out than all, Fahad Fasil as a photographer gets in to a fight and then loses. Its a simple story with great attention to details.He finds that opportunity to win again. This is that real gem of Malayalam movie embedded with the nativity, street fights, Naadan culture. No one today can portray better than Fahad. Rajiv Ravi’s Kammatipadam, was violent and unflinching like his earlier movies.  In Rajiv Ravi’s movies everyone is lesser than his camera, less sympathy and who lost their innocence. Kammatipadam spoke the that neo realism and makes his movies one of the most awaited every year. Kali was a killer movie, it spoke the young man’s anger issues. It ripped apart the sensitive aspects of being a short tempered. It pushed to the all-out limits and eases out to realize.


I was happy in 2016 , that I had a Anurag Kashyap movie in his core base with his most trusted soldier Nawazudhin. Raman Raghav was brutal and a clear cut stand out of the Bollywood movies. Aligarh was a delight and celebration of performances and loneliness. It is  a wish for any movie lover to make your favorite actors  struggle on screen than to win, be lonely , put to dark. That brings you closer to that art than watching a movie. Aligarh, Maheshinte Prathikaram does the same. Pink was a noisy movie in social media, It conveyed that “No means No “and that’s the only part which worked for me in the movie. Somehow Amitabh’s court scenes were a letdown.  If you haven’t watched Airlift , watch it for the screen play, it's a well executed movie of 2016. Lal Rang starring Randeep Hooda was a surprise watch of 2016, totally rustic and dark.

I am yet to watch Chennai 600028 and Dangal, I have heard good reviews about both of it, I would be watching both in couple of days. But 2016 has been a real mix of good and average movies like any other year. This year away from India , I have the real challenge of watching it delayed.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom