No Piracy but .....!(Article)


When I was discussing with my friend he gave me a valid question "How are you watching these movie to write about it ?"I answered through DVD.He asked me Legal or Pirated ! I said legal .I wanted to make my point very clear to him.We can not stop piracy ,its been in our system in many ways.A legal DVD of a Tamil movie would cost Rs.299-499 which is costlier if I want to own many DVDs.An English /Hind/Foriegn movies would also be in the same range .But we cant resist watching movies ,I made up my mind long before not to watch any tamil movies in pirated DVDs which I get for Rs 50.It affects the business in some means.But as far as Foreign movies(Which are not released in theaters in my reach -I am editing after Sabaris comments) are concerned I am not spoiling or against any body's business.I get it from my local DVD shop (Strictly legal) or from my friends shop which are not legal.I bet Cinema Paradiso or Shawshank redemption will not release in any indian theatre now and run for 100 days.So its simple .The point is I will watch a pirated DVD if the movies are old and as far as it does not affect any business ,Other than Music world /Planet M in Chennai.For Tamil movies I am strictly against Piracy. As far as any music I am against Piracy .I still dont beleive the concept of MP3 ,because its always beleive its a pride to own any original Music CDs .The feel of listening to music by CDs or Cassettes in something different.

"Naalu perukku nallathu nadanthal ethuvam naallathu than "Kamal Hasan saying in Nayagan Truly right.What say? Comments needed on this .

Comments

Sabhari Nath said…
I am totally with you on this point; how do we know that we are not affecting their business, if it is a foreign language movie. "Crouching tiger hidden dragon" and "Life is beautiful" were foreign language movies that were hits on Indian Screens. If we apply the same formula there as well, we have definitely affected their business.

This is my PoV
Sabhari Nath said…
Sorry about the mistake in the previous comment.

"I am not tatally with you on this point" was what I meant. I dint proofread before posting it.
Karthik said…
Sabari i mean Foreign movies which are not relesed in theaters in my days.I will never watch a movie in DVD if its in theater.I prefer theater for it .but cn u watch Guns of nOvaron or casabalanca?
Joebi said…
Just to be clear. Piracy is not about impacting anyone's biz. It is about copyright. You can watch Sivaji movie in a DVD / watever as long as the distributor / owner of the movie gives it to you. If he gives u permission to copy and distribute, u can do that too.
Incase you want to feel sure that you are watching copyrighted movies, you can try some genuine download sites. I guess Blockbuster has a service where members can download movies. Netflix has an option for watching streaming videos.

I wud not really accept with you on mp3's. I agree that mp3's are highly misused for pirated songs but there are also legal stuffs going on in the mp3 world. iTunes have sold more than a billion songs and they are all legal copyrighted versions.
Karthik said…
Guys I agree ..my point is very simple Watching a old block buster in a dvd where there is no means of buying in a legal way IS NOT PIRACY ACCORDING TO ME .i do agree MP3 is good if its legal .In India i dont think any good collection of MP3 have come(TO MY KNOWLEDGE IN MUSIC WORLD AND PLANET M)i am reinforcing again i am againstpiracy and i will not watch in DVD /VCD if the movies are avialble for me legally.I bet not all movies are available legally..i am not deviating from my point i stand by it.
Karthik said…
copyrighting has lot to do with biz and intellectual property ..there is always a business impact in that.Thats why intellectual property,trademarks and copyrights are more taken up by companies.
sarathy said…
Hi karthi,
Before getting on to Video Piracy,i will always think whether the movie i buy deserves to buy in legal market.,
Its not about how it entertains, its about it's integrity.
This industry is full of copy cats let it be director,composer or even stunt master,
They steal ideas from genuine we just get it by paying the amount it deserves....
Eg. Unaale unaale - June ponaal is copy of Blue's ALL RISE., how come the music director deserve to expect Royalty for it....
SO TIT for TAT....
Karthik said…
good emotional thought machi...but i hope i am not in that league..i am just feeling i will not see Tamil movies in DVD because if u start increasing it ..people make politics of it/.

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom