Madurai Movie Magic @ Mappilai Vinayagar


Funny it is.Life is the same for all in Madurai after two years. Madurai is always special for me :) .I entered Madurai as a boy and when I left Madurai before two years it had trained me out as a man. Too much of reminiscences. At present I am in Madurai for a so called negotiation meeting with some Annachi Customers .Tire some day it was for me where I had to trek Aruppukottai,Sattur and Virudhunagar at last the funny part was my sales call ended in Madurai and in My hotel.
I took a bath and I wanted to go for a movie at a theatre near by I opted for Transformers @Urumarum Vettayargal.I do not wish for reviewing even a single bit of the movie because More than the movie, watching it in Madurai excited me .I watched the movie in Mappilai Vinayagar which had laid the foundation and interest in Hollywood movies for many persons like me who graduated in and around Madurai .
I remember the days of my Engineering and MBA where we had allotted some special time for Mappilai Vinayagar what ever is the project or case study. The in-thing took a final shape when I was doing my MBA ,where there were more attendance recorded in Mappilai Vinayagar than my class rooms.None of my class mates can deny that .When the individual curricular group members were busy on Friday nights at the computer labs for Saturdays Director’s class preparation or case study, we were very busy in arguing in choosing Mappilai Vinayagar or Manicka vinayagar.Because every Friday night its feast for the gang because two would be released on Fridays.
I still can not summon up to count how much times we went for Italian Job in Mappilai Vinayagar .It was so evident in some periods when some in the team (Movie Freaks )walk in the air corridor by night 9.30 pm juniors used to rip away that we are nearing them to take them for Mappilai Vinayagar.It is a History that we were never pushed out of Mappilai Vinayagar due to rush .A Person who used to be a peon in the theatre used to get us the tickets (Only during the crowded days)and we used to bribe him for it .He was so loyal that he would get the money only during the Interval. Amazing and funny it was.Life is still the same now after three years.
I reached Mappilai Vinayagar and I was just having tea in the near by shop that particular tea in that shop share a considerable percentage of my body blood content :)
The theater was empty but the person recognized me and he got the money and took a ticket and gave me .It was electric when I entered the empty hall as it showed all memories from Terminator II to Exorcist II (Which was my last movie I think) .Too sentimental I believe but it had a worthy memories to mention. I enjoyed the Urumarum Vettayargal sitting right front of the Ganesha statue below the screen with some funny translations .I had a lonely interval because that was the period where we used to plan for the upcoming movies watching the intervals,I know I would watch those movies now also but I would miss watching it in Mappilai Vinayagar :). I was just enjoying some college guys commenting the way we were commenting by looking at the posters .Life is same at Madurai.
I just had a Pepsi looking at the Sweet Bun which used to be our favorite those days.
I was done with the movie ,and I was waiting outside the hall for an Auto .The person came outside and enquired about my friends where abouts .He was particular about one of my friend Nirmal who was known to him years before us.I gave him some money .But he did not accept it. I was taken back and he said “Nammala Gyabagam vatchathey perusu sir”(Its great that you remember me ).In fact I should have told that because he is seeing many lives like me day in and day out .And the best thing was he was remembering me..For some part Life is not the same in Madurai after three years.
That’s Madurai Movie Magic at Mappilai Vinayagar :)

Comments

Ashok said…
Madurai Rocks ! :-) Definitely for the people who made their memories during college days. And for me, it is origin, growth, vetti and also fun filled days ! Brilliantly brought out the flavour of the famous Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar complex. Myself and my brother will be having the standard drink (Tea, Duh !) at our friend Kannan's shop and suddenly decide to go for the 10:00 show. I guess the person you talk is known to my brother because I remember my brother mention about him. All the movies I have went were the times when it was all rushed and over, hence direct counter is good enough to get the Rs. 20 (High Class, Yes High Class seat) tickets. "Titanic", "Final Destination" "The Matrix", "Unbreakable" are some of the movies I remember seeing there. "Final Destination" is the surprise movie which enthralled both myself and my brother. Glory days and truly a place of Glory, Madurai !
Anonymous said…
Anna, i guess last movie we watched when you were about to finish college days was ..."Phone Booth"
Karthik said…
Ashok,
Mappilai Vinayagar nowadays releases English films only in Tamil version ..rarely they release English movies..Apart from that Manicka vinayagar for Kollywood movies.Can u beleive it
Karthik said…
Phone booth really ,,,,I !thought Excorcist during our Project Viva with Yuvi,Manoj the last but one day....
Sabhari Nath said…
Well said Karthik, Mappillai Vinayagar was the theatre that brought Hollywood to me and it is from there I started developing a liking towards these movies

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom