Kuppi (2007)-(Dubbed from Cyanide-Kannada-2006)


When I was in my school days I was frightened of one thing the most. It was always scaring me when I go to tuition lonely through the dark streets.The scary factor was for Ottrai Kann Sivarasan and Subha (Accused of Rajiv Gandhi Murder).It all started when CBI-Karthikeyan announced on AIR that he is around Sea shore districts of Tamil Nadu especially near Vedaranyam,Tuticorin.Since because I was from Tirunelveli,I was literally shivering when ever I go alone ,He was one fellow who made me scare to my veins. I got a big release from my scary nights when they shot him at Bangalore .I swear on this. Still I remember the Dinamalar Paper with his photo on the front page lying with blood spots.I do not know he threatened the hell out of me .After which nothing came across me about the scary man.

After nearly fifteen years I watched the shades of the memories through Kuppi .Kuppi is a Kannada Movie (Cyanide) directed by A.M.R.Ramesh.It is based on the last few days of the Gang which murdered Rajiv Gandhi.Malavika (Subha ) ,Nasaer (CBI Karthikeyan),Ramesh ( Sivarasan) are the only known faces in the movie.

The movie does not point or preach any thing. Strictly this is final hide out days and end of the once most wanted terrorist. I watched this movie in Sun TV ,which some how reduced the feel of watching the continuous film. But still the movie is fresh on the making with some sensational camera and back ground scores. Angles and scrutiny of the camera scares at many instances.
On what way you would take the reason for the assassination of one of the charismatic leader modern India had seen. That one reason makes us not to accept any of the reason uttered for the assassination of the leader. The same reason also makes us to see them as real murderers. Director also did not attempt much on this, to evade not be branded as a rationalizing LTTE attempt.It was taken as a true perspective of a creator who had attempted to create a mindset drama involving the most wanted terrorists in their last hours of life.
I would have admired this movie if it was told in a better way with the sequences of the last fifteen minutes in a much more eloquent way.The expressive contents and the fluency of the action bolt of the encounter act is missing in a bigger way from the force.I believe that should have been sharpened up which would have made this movie a much more of its class.Still it had all the ingredients of a class film uncompromising,non preaching,technically sound and astounding performances. Above all it was a superb direction which make this movie a must watch.

The character of Ranganathan’s wife portrayed as a innocent house wife is a real good inclusion which tells the feel of the commoner amongst the rebellious gang.
Many movies wanted to include this sequence of Rajiv Gandhi ,eventually it did not pass the censor during 90’s,for example Kuttrapatrikai .It was a very sensitive issue which could intensify and sympathize for the accusedivolved in the murder. Now after all the hearing and the time factor three movie were released in a same period.Kuppi,Kuttrapathrikai and Mission 90 days.I am yet to watch Mission 90 days by Mammooty but Kuppi is a real genuine attempt of a creator far more better than R.K.Selvamani’s Kuttrpathirkai.

To justify the first paragraph Kuppi also scared me in watching my good old scary man on the screen.After fifteen years it was a shades of real panic I had when I watched the movie alone in my home.But this time I was stubborn and enjoying each scene because I remember the Dinamalar(News Magazine) photos on August 24th 1992 the day after Sivarasan was shot.


Rating : 7.2/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom