Citizen Kane (1941)


I am done now .That I have seen three of all time great movies 1.Casablanca, 2. Godfather Series and 3.Citizen Kane. Every time I read about great movies in any of the articles or Blogs I come across this name and it took for me a compelling action to see Citizen Kane. Love it or criticize it Citizen Kane is special from all views .I had bought this DVD three months ago and I wanted a special time for this movie to be watched. In spite being greatest movie I never wanted to have an inclination towards this movie, until I watch it. On a narrow spectrum if you ask me I would still choose Casablanca as my all time favorite among the three.

Citizen Kane starts off at Xanadu the Luxurious built by newspaper Tycoon Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles).The movie undermines the life and death of Him. Screen play moves in finding the meaning of “Rose Bud” the last word uttered by Charles Kane. Rose Bud is unarguably the timeless one-liner said in the history of Motion picture. Can you imagine a movie which looks into one word to find the mystery behind it, becoming a all time greatest. I was not satisfied when I heard about the plot before watching the movie. But the movie flies beyond the one word to immaculately presenting the rise and fall of a millionaire .The real meaning of rose Bud is still left on the loose end viewers and researchers taking different interpretation.

Citizen Kane is a protocol for any of the new age film makers with regard to Make up, Visuals, Art directions, Sound mixing and above all screen play. I was stunned to see Orson Welles slowly ageing in the movie from 25 to 70.I could never find when it happened but at the fag end of the scenes he looked so aged. Any ageing factor if abruptly shown in the celluloid makes the viewers experience a difference in the stream line of Screenplay. It was amazing Citizen Kane has proved the positive difference 70 yrs ago. I suddenly compared him with his performance in Third Man .The movie’s main theme can be compressed in twenty minutes ,apart from that it moves as flashbacks and opinions .Every body and every thing in the movie speaks about Charles Foster Kane. It reinforces the larger than life character he wears in the movie. Rose Bud as told by his manager Thompson is some thing which he has not attained in his life. But opinions on Rose bud revolve and reveal Citizen Kane in the movie. It’s a real mastery to take up an tiny case and present it in a Macho style.

The movie is mastermind of Orson Welles and showing the unauthorized biography of publishing tycoon William Randolph Hearst including his politics. If you just start examining who was Kane and what is so important about Rose Bud you will end up with nothing .Because Orson Welles has crafted something beyond this and about the man who was isolated from the acquaintances and his network.

I was just thinking what would be the effect if I had not known about this movie till I watched!What If I had no idea about Rose Bud.In fact I wanted to view it in that manner. But I was forced to look at every shot with micro focus on the angles and views. Because every angle knowingly or unknowingly had some thing to say .I am repeating it knowingly or unknowingly. Because Orson and team would not be knowing about the greatness and elevation it has gained.As a commoner it would have impressed with the start it had with mysterious window and the narration and the image which was presented about Kane.But I am sure (my View) the movie drags ,drags at some point where it makes what next?. Ultimately when viewed only to know what is Rose Bud as I said any body would fail because Any body would fall in the trap of this magic when we forget about the Rose bud and slowly we get focused about the life of a Tycoon including his views and state of being.That's when Citizen Kane stands tall among all the movies made.

Comments

Ashok said…
Very well written ! If you have the DVD you should have the commentary by Roger Ebert in which he explains the camera placement, lightings shot by shot. I need to watch it with commentary some point of time. This review in particular is right to the point and also you have diversified the thoughts the movie stirred up in you. Very well done Review !
Sabhari Nath said…
I have not seen the movie, but the way you have narrated your experience compels me as well. Just a quick question, where can I get the DVDs of the movies that you have reviewed, please let me know so that I can also try for a few movies and experience it.
Karthik said…
@ashok: thanks machi...last week i saw Roager eberts commentary also.

@Sabari: Its easy to get in big DVD shops machi,I got my own copy at Music World and usually i take it from movie land in anna nagar where i have membership...my friend was telling about a chain of DVD store across india called
"Cinema Paradiso" where u get good collection of rare CDs for rent.Check out in Hyderabad .i will also try to get the number
I also give a try for french movies from Pondi(Strictly pirated)

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom