The English Patient(1996)


Roger Ebert writes "It is the kind of movie you can see twice--first for the questions, the second time for the answers." On English Patient ,I don't know I have watched twice ,I didn't get the answer.The pain of Love remains he says. Come on ,I am not able to understand why the love was there between them .But the performance of each actors are of great maturity and clarity which makes you feel .Dude you are watching one of the best movies of your time.

English Patient starts with a badly burnt and wounded man taken in to military hospital under the care of Nurse Hana (Juliette Binoche).She remains with him to take care of him when the medical troops move on.The movie turns on when a visitor named Caravaggio arrives to their place.Its goes back to Egypt a adultery love between Almasy( Ralph Flennes ) and Katherine (Kristin Scott Thomas).Movie travels back and to present in portraying the love of them and the love between Hanah and Kep ( Naveen Andrews ) .Its ends with the remains of Love.

English Patient won Nine Oscars and its one of the rare examples of beautiful camera ,precission make up and fanstastic lightings. Even at the desert the movie captures the love in such a immaculate manner which made to experience one of the best shots.The intentions of Mysterious Caravaggio makes it unfold the movie at many parts.It makes us to feel the movie hide many thing, I even gave a try once more on the movie to know was his intention fulfilled .Sadly I didn't get it.

Coming to the main theme,the love between the Almasy the introvert and flamboyant Katherine.What was driving between them ,I was not able to get.It was nice to watch when they fall in love.But when I dig up sadly I ended up nothing.Have my understanding capability on movies gone down or Is the movie was such as I perceived I don't know.But still ,Why love which is hidden from the society was so melodramatic at the end.I started concentrating on other aspects but the love of Hanah with the Indian was really poignant .Its well made that any body whom she loves leaves her soon,and the scenes were woven to make us understand how unlucky she is.

Ralph Flennes hides his emotions but he is unable to control his eyes when he is looking at her.He balances between his love and reality .There are some beautiful scenes of their love when he asks her “ when is your happiest moments ?” she says now ,he asks again when were you least happy ? She says Now .Fantastically made scene,but some how it didn’t capitalize to answer or satisfy my expectation.May be I didn’t like the way it ended.The movies end brings up many questions but The scenes involving bomb sweeping and defusing are some of the most tense scenes ,which shows the level of pain the movie crew has taken to make it real.

Love has many faces this is one form amidst the Nazi attack in World war II and amidst the deserts of Egypt.It lets you feel some where you are missing something in this whole presentation probably that made me to look back once.

Comments

Sabhari Nath said…
One of the best love (although illicit, as you had mentioned)movies I have seen. Not just because of the performance, but also by the way the screenplay runs. Another movie which I would want you to review is Memento - the movie with the best plot and screenplay ever (atleast for me)
Karthik said…
Yeah sabari,I have it my queue.Sure I will catch up Momemto

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom