Phoonk (2008)




Phoonk ! My brother is a big fan of Scary movies,I am not .Because I am not scary on those kind of movies.Its all a gimmick and some visuals which makes you scary and not the movie.I love thrillers for that matter with some intensity and dark pictures like Zodiac and Seven.Phoonk was hugely advertised as the scariest movie made in Indian Cinema.They even went on saying that they would award 5 lakhs for the person who watches it on a lonely hall.To be very frank I registered for it and I knew for the fact that I could win it.No body called me since I registered and now I can confidently say that its just an ordinary scary movie.

Phoonk deals with Indian Black magic.Rajiv (Sudeep ) and Arti (Amruta Khanvilkar) are happily married couple with Raksha (Ahsaas Channa) and Rohan as their kids.Rajiv is an architect and he is an aethist.Rajiv terminates Anshuman(Kenny Desai) and Madhu(Ashwini Khalsekar) from the contract for betraying him in the business.Rajiv’s servant finds human bone and lemon in the garden of his home which is believed to be a indication of black magic.Raksha shows signs of being affected by the embroil.Rajiv still believes it can be cured by Psychology.When things gets worse for his daughter he seeks the help of Manja (Zakir Hussain ) an exorcist .

To me if you ask me Phoonk has shades of Excorcist and Grudge to some extend.There are no new scenes which makes a human scary in this hugely advertised movie.Ram Gopal varma is seriously loosing his touch and people still regard him as one of the best director.I would agree in the past but this is one among his ordinary movie. RGV has made this movie to creep till the interval to take its toll.But the fact is he wanted to make sure that it is a scary movie right from the scene one.I don’t know why every body in the movie look with a staring eyes.I would say he didn’t concentrate on the scene building as he did it in Bhoot.There is not even a scene which could make you sit erect or shake you.

Sudeep is a Kannada actor and he has done the character with out straining much.Atlast in RGV’s movie there is a good looking actress who act Amruta Khanvilkar.Real sensible performance as a mother of Raksha.The character of Zakir Hussain is impressive and he has become a regular in RGV’s movie.The character of Madhu was an idiotic creation by itself and it was irritating right from the beginning and was not scary.I can say for every body who watched the movie along with me.

The movie does not preach any thing but it takes a conclusion of black magic in a definite way.That was impressive from the director.It has lots of gimmicks and dreams an usual stuff in scary movie.The let down happened in screenplay ,because nowadays the scary movies have become a routine and it needs a new thinking to make audience scare with soundeffects and scenes.RGV never did it in this movie and sorry for him again but still its not a very bad movie like Contract.
Rating : *

Comments

Anonymous said…
good review for the so called scary movie. think rgv lost his touch, and the movie can be watchd in:
http://www.supershowbiz.com/
Anonymous said…
no way one can call it a scary movie!!

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom