7 Aam Arivu (2011) **1/2


Surya ,A.R.Murugadas,Ravi K Chandran should have made this movie little more sensible.I would definitely blame it on the director for the commercial elements and take it for granted logic in a movie which the director wants to take pride on.The movie rides on Bodhidarman but it truly denies the fact he is the boon for the movie. The movie leaves a larger dent in the screenplay and the ability to convince the audience with its movement throughout. I have nothing against the movie, I enjoyed it for its base plot, initial fifteen minutes and the performance of Surya .I would definitely like to know whats the need for the movie to take a link between bio war , Bodhidarman ,Tamil enthusiasm in such a lousy form . The combination doesn’t work at all. The combination as a package is confusing or rather looks like a over speaking kid.

Bodhidarman is a remarkable education to all the viewers. Geniunely I would thank Murugadas. I don’t have the knowledge about Bodhidarman but I didn’t want to know Bodhidarman in a preaching mode. I would have been a happy person if the movie had lesser commercial aspect . It’s a opportunity missed in a greater way to A.R.Murugadoss. Surya is a wonder, he is the best student available today in Indian cinema. He just does or brings what his master wants. I respect this totally.

Mistake no : 1 Should have changed the background voice for the first fifteen minutes.Naser,Partheepan or Kamal Hasan voice would have done wonders. This sounds like Film division news reel / Nadanthathu enna

I enjoyed the way Bodhidarman life was portrayed. Technically I would rate it as superlative, it had the potential to look world class, indeed it can be rated. The way Bodhidarman episode ended didn’t convince me at all. Did any one feel the same ? Bodhidarman episode ends and it travels to Chennai circus. It should have been vice versa. Non linear format would have been a great presentation. With first fifteen minutes clearly waiting till Aravindhan discovers about Real Subha srinivasan.There would have been a greater grip with the director to hold the audience for the main show.

Mistake no : 2 Sequence of the plots.

Mistake no : 3 Justify the research or present it in a believable format. I request or plead Kamal Hasan daughter to stop speaking about Tamil in a language she spoke. My wife said it was Tamil ( !!!).Ulndorpettai is a typical example.

Mistake No : 4 Don’t make us believe in the course of the movie some bullshit. Getting in to IIT campus hiding out in the woods for twelve days and performing a DNA transformation .It can be argued you would believe if it’s a Hollywood movie. Agreed, Initially itself its been indicated it’s a tribute to ancient Tamil and it also indicated the ignorance of present Tamil generation. You have made it sensitive.I expected it to be sensible. But DNA transformation with out any expert help in laboratory facility is a joke.

Mistake No : 5 Seriousness and scripting in present day sequences would have been greatly appreciated. The Nokku varmam has become a irritation after some point of time. And the discussion of Donglee with his master just puts off the whole morale of how Bodhidarman was respected.

I might sound negative in this review ,but truly this is not my intention. I didn’t read or hear any reviews for being very true to my experience with this hyped movie. A.R .Murugadas is a talented director but this experimentation needs sacrifice of some songs and some intuitive judgement about audience wisdom about any thing. As a viewer I don’t need any thing great onscreen I want to believe in what I see, I don’t want to see a cocktail of sensible subject ( Bodhidarman ) with Fantasy after projecting so much about Tamil.

I didn’t have the impact of watching a great movie. Definitely worth a watch. Failing to its hypes.

Comments

ashok said…
Totally agree Karthik. I had a vague idea about Bodhidharma even before this movie and went to see with great expectation. The movie just couldn't deliver. Unbearably irritating at many places...what an opportunity lost!

Popular posts from this blog

5 Forgotten Tamil movies (70's 80's 90's) to watch during this lock down available in Youtube

Silambattam (2008)

Anantha Thandavam -The original Pirivom Sandhippom